Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Insomnia is OK when it's a good insomnia

Short post.
I've been awake since one a.m. And, for a happy change, not because I'm imagining bugs crawling in my ears or rats running under my bed. Instead, for the first time in ages, I'm awake because my story is back as the dominant running narrative and theme in my mind. It won't shut off, and that's a great reason to be awake.
I don't, however, need for the insomnia to become a frequently recurring theme in my life, given that there are only a few days of March Break left, but right now, I'm banking on a Pre-St. Paddy's Day afternoon nap to shore me up, after plenty of extra predawn hours in the writing bank.

2 comments:

  1. A whirling creative mind is a pretty good reason for insomnia, if you gotta have the affliction. I sleep well most of the time, and even one night of insufficient sleep (like last night, for example) makes me so dull and cranky that I'm amazed real insomniacs can function at all. It was great to see you at WLT last night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too! Thanks for the comment. I had quite a return journey, but the time in Austen was worth it! I think going back to teaching tomorrow will help with me being tired enough to sleep at night! I found the panel interesting, and definitely have to think more about my blog!

    ReplyDelete