Friday, December 25, 2009

Contemplative on Christmas day

What a disappointment to realize how long it's been since my last update. Writing more than a twitter update has seemed like an epic challenge. Going back to work full time has been a severe blow to my writing time, but I am rallying. Just not on my blog apparently. One of my favourite people on the planet - my Twin - is starting her first blog, and ironically asking me (as if I were an expert) for advice. I did learn a lot during my year off about social media and the like; perhaps it's time to be using more of it.

My Twin's blog is going to detail her ambitious New Year's resolution of BUYING NOTHING NEW NEXT YEAR! It's not a new idea - we have a friend who did it all this year, and who found the idea from an article. But it is new for my Twin. I contemplated joining her in this resolve for all of two milliseconds. I feel it was an inadvertent fact for me last year, during my year off. I didn't really buy anything new, and that was fine, but I don't want to commit to it just now. What I would like, is to hitch on to some of that motivation of hers to take care of some business of my own. Check out her blog: www.nonewfortara.blogspot.com

Kind of like I joined nanowrimo this year with no intention of beginning a new novel, but rather wrapping up the recent draft of this one, using some of that frenzied nano energy to boost my own when it flagged. I'd like to borrow that mentality a bit more of the time - so when my Twin is fully engaged in reusing, and creating her own stuff, and getting crafty, and sharing, I'm enthusiastic about that. I'm also enthusiastic about being a much lighter consumer and being very selective, and saving more, physically and financially. Taking fewer cabs and more walks, getting some clothes altered instead of buying new ones, creating a better work space at home so I don't have to leave the house to write, clearing clutter - mentally, physically, and financially. It's time to be more spartan, simpler, give more without needing to get something for myself. "Breathing more and doing less," my yoga teacher says. But of course, I always need to do more. Sometimes a lot more. "Hurry up. I want to relax," my husband says. Wish me luck.
I wish you joy, love, and hand knit mittens today.

1 comment:

  1. I wish YOU joy, love, and hand knit mittens! What a great line, and if I do recall, one of your new year's resolutions. One of mine is to knit slippers. Keep pecking away at the keyboards and all the novel will happen. xo Tara

    ReplyDelete